Differences in Graduation Rates

         I personally was never one to care about the success rate of a school, because I knew that the amount of success I would achieve individually would be exceptional. The article points out more of the flaws in how colleges are collecting data rates, however I feel the article did not get to the true reason for graduation rate differences. I hear the phrase “School is not for everyone,” so often, and it was not until I graduated from high school that I realized this to be true. Growing up, school was an easy task for me, even though I did not like it. I believe that the key to being successful in school is to be able to understand and memorize information. Once I realized this, it became clear to me as to why school was not for everyone. If you take a student like me for example, I was a straight A student growing up and was devastated after receiving my first B. That was the first time in class where I felt like I did not understand what was going on or things were moving too fast for me. It put me in the mindset of a student that generally doesn’t do well in school. No matter how many times my instructor explained something to me, I just felt like there was a block in my brain that would not allow me to grasp the concept and I realized that this block was my frustration. I was frustrated that I could not remember the info and therefor was quick to give up. Learning requires patience sometimes and when learning collectively in a classroom, not everyone is going to have the same learning pace. This can cause the slower paced students to feel low about themselves and call their selves dumb or stupid, when in fact they are not. The way that the school system is set up does not accommodate every child like it should. Everyone is different and should not all be taught the same way or be expected to be on the same track as everyone else. I believe that is the real reason for differences in graduation rates is expecting everyone to graduate at the same time. 


Sources consulted:
https://www.cappex.com/articles/blog/government-publishes-graduation-rate-data

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Education is the New Struggle

The Oldest Sport!

About Me